The U.S. Department of State recently issued a travel advisory regarding travel to Mexico encouraging travelers to use caution when visiting the country. This has caused concern for some of our travelers who have trips to Mexico coming up.
While many believe the release of the travel advisory was related to the recent news of eight dead bodies discovered in Cancun, it wasn’t. The advisory and this news just happened to come out concurrently. Travel is not currently advised to Colima, Guerrero, Michoacán, Sinaloa and Tamaulipas, none of which are popular tourist destinations. Tourist areas, such as Riviera Maya, Tulum and Cozumel, are said to be safe. In fact, there is a level-two warning (exercise increased caution) for the rest of Mexico, which is the same level as Jamaica, Italy, The Bahamas, Dominican Republic and other popular vacation destinations. See what we had to say when interviewed by the media regarding travel to Mexico here.
We are still actively booking trips to the popular tourist destinations in Mexico however, we encourage our travelers to educate themselves and use common sense whenever they are traveling out of the country.
Safety tips include:
- Avoid driving when its dark outside
- Use caution when using ATMs, visiting banks or carrying large amounts of cash
- Don’t wear expensive clothing, watches or jewelry
- If you are staying at a resort or hotel, remain on the property as much as possible and exercise caution if visiting local bars, restaurants, nightclubs or casinos
- If leaving the resort or hotel, ask the staff to call an authorized taxi for you
- Be sure to have copies of your passport and other important travel documents
- Minimize alcohol intake and avoid taking drinks from strangers
- Talk with your travel agent before you leave about what to do in an emergency situation
Disclaimer: Travel at your own risk. Professional Travel assumes no responsibility for loss, injury or death as a result of travel.
We’ve been providing travel services for over 50 years
and have helped countless clients travel the globe. Discover what our customers have to say about working with us.